15 June 2015

The United Colors of Behr and bestill my heart pine

Thank the goddess!  The staples and tack strips are gone.  Saturday ended my flooring prep saga.  I think I heard cheers from the hardwoods when I pulled up the last tack strip.  Now, I get to move on to stage two, spackling and paint color selections.

I started my morning by stopping at Home Depot (I'm still waiting for them to shout my name when i walk through the doors) to pick up spackle paste and paint samples.  I selected nine different paint samples from Behr's Arts & Crafts decorator line.  Upon returning to the house, I started spackling.  I think I sanded down and covered more holes than the Titanic had rivets.  Now for the color selections....

Living/dining room:


My choice is Fern Grove.  I think the brighter green will make the woodwork pop!  However, I am considering Halls of Ivy as a possible accent wall.  Peat is just too brown and the woodwork will get lost.

My bedroom:


I'm very partial to Blue Metal.  I love a dark bedroom,  Maybe Cabana Blue as an accent wall.

Bedroom #2:


Love Nouveau Copper, but I like Campfire Blaze too.  I think Nouveau Copper will look better with the woodwork.

Kitchen:


The kitchen should be bright and cheerful......yellow does the trick!

Bathroom:

Trying to keep the bathroom clean and neutral.

One for my flooring contractors came by today to give an estimate on refinishing and repairing the hardwoods.  He informed me that the floors are heart pine and that they are the subfloor.  I told him I want to save the original floors.  He is able to get heart pine planks to make repairs, but they will not be cheap.  Apparently the high cost of heart pine is because it is typically reclaimed.  Overall, he provided a wealth of information about my floors and refinishing/repairing them.  He pointed out spots where the floors had previously been repaired around the spots where former walls had stood.  The contractor explained how he would install the new planks to look as though they are original parts of the floor.  Just from talking with him I can tell he takes care and pride in his work.  

I do love my floors, even if they squeak and show plenty of wear and tear.  It would be a crime not to bring them back to life.  


Two more floor refinishing/repair estimates to go.....







No comments:

Post a Comment