07 June 2015

it's about to begin...

Offers!  Inspections!  Appraisals!  Oh my!

I'm almost to the end of the process to purchase a home in New Albany, Indiana.  My closing date is Tuesday, 9 June 2015.  The house is a bungalow that was built in 1928.  All of the original woodwork is still in place.  
original woodwork

The backyard features a large deck, privacy fences and access to the garage.  



Utilities have been set up for the new house and end dates have been set for the apartment.  Luckily, I will be able to close on the house just as school is ending for the summer.  I will have a solid eight weeks to get moved into my house and make as many repairs/changes/improvements as I can before school begins again in August.  I've made need, want, and must do lists of things to fix, do, and wish for.  The lists have been categorized into outside and inside lists.

One of the first things I am going to do is mow the grass.  The current owner does not live in the area, so the grass has not been mowed in a while (at least it wasn't when I had the home inspection on 20 May).  Needless to say, the grass needs to be cut!  I have been debating buying either a battery operated push mower or an old fashioned reel mower.  Both the front and back yards are quite small, so I think I am going to go with the reel mower.  I do plan to get a battery operated weed trimmer/edger, to keep the weeds at bay.  Once the lawn is cut and trimmed, the plan is to move inside and put my touches on the home.

The inside of the house currently has wall to wall carpet in all the rooms except the bathroom and kitchen. I hate carpet, so it is coming up.  I have checked and there are hardwood floors in all the carpeted rooms.  I believe these to be the original hardwood floors.
dining area

living area
One of my favorite things, so far, is the Arts & Crafts style front door.

I am very lucky to have my good friend Autumn offer to help me rip out the carpet and expose the hardwoods.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that there will be no surprises under the carpet.  Should I run into a surprise (missing areas of hardwood, floors that need refinishing, etc.) I will cross that bridge when I come to it.  Painting will be my next task.  I have Arts & Crafts color palates all picked out.  Painting rooms is a pain, but once again, Autumn has offered to come to the rescue!

Actual moving in will begin when the carpet is out and the painting is finished.  

Stay tuned....

No comments:

Post a Comment